R. P. Amudhan is a documentary film maker and media activist. Along with local youth, he founded Marupakkam, a media activism group that is involved with making documentaries, organising regular screenings, film festivals and media workshops in and around Madurai. He has been making documentaries since 1997. His prominent films include two trilogies on caste and nuclear radiation. 'Shit' has won the best film award at the One Billion Eyes film festival in 2005 and the National Jury Award at the MIFF 2006. He founded Madurai International Documentary and Short Film Festival in 1998 and has been organising the festival since then.
RP Amudhan’s films:
1. Leelavathi (Enfejar) (1996) - documentary
2. Theeviravaghigal (Terrorists) (1997) - documentary
3. Thodarum Thisavazhi (Direction to go) (2001) - documentary short
4. Kaviri Padugai (Cauvery Delta) (2002- documentary short
5. Pee (Shit) (2003) - documentary short
6. Mayana Kurippugal (Notes from the Crematorium) (2005) - documentary short
7. 'Vandhe Mataram - a shit version - music video
8. Senthamil Nadenum Pothinile - music video
9. Seruppu (Footwear) (2006) - feature-length documentary
10. The Road' (2008) - documentary short
11. Night Life (2008) - documentary short
12. 'Radiation Stories Part 01 : Manavalakurichi - documentary
13. 'Radiation Stories Part 02: Kalpakkam - documentary
14. 'Broken Voices - documentary
15. 'Radiation Stories Part 03: Koodankulam - feature-length documentary
16. 'Thodarum Neethi Kolaihal - feature-length documentary
17. Mercury in the Mist - documentary
18. Hey Mr.Gandhii, Leave the Indians Alone! - documentary
19. Dollar City - Feature-length documentary (in progress)
• Best film award, One Billion Eyes film festival in 2005.
• The National Jury Award, 9th Mumbai International Film Festival in 2006.